2005-11-17

IBM too eager to ship new stuff

Back in August I got my hands on my first p5 machine, a 590. Two weeks later, the machine's service processor fries (a thing almost unheard of, according to IBM, had to happen to me). It turns out that these machines have two service processors, but automatic failover will be supported only with the next firmware level. So for now the second SP just sits there and does nothing.

Back then I checked the IBM website - indeed, it said that this model features "redundant service processors (planned for 2H/2005)". Today I checked the same page and the "planned for" bit was gone! I go to the firmware page - a new p5 firmware level SF235 is out. The description says:

Added support for redundant service processors with dynamic failover in models 570, 590, and 595.

Yippee!! But wait, what's this - earlier on the same page:

This level of firmware does not support the 9119-590, 9119-595, 9406-595 or 9118-575 systems. Firmware to support these systems is being tested and is expected to be available mid-November 2005.

Gee, thanks but no thanks, still waiting...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home